Schengen Tourist Visa: Am I a tourist in Europe?

Schengen Tourist Visa: Am I a tourist in Europe?

Are you planning on visit the Schengen area?

A Schengen visa is not appropriate, if you wish to remain in a Schengen country for longer than 90 days, take up employment or establish a business, trade or profession.

However, if you are willing to stay in the territory of the Schengen States of a duration of no more than 90 days in any 180 day period you may need “short stay visa”. Furthermore, you may not need a visa but you can be asked at the border to prove your tourist condition.

The Schengen Tourist Visa

How you do it?

Travelling with evidence of means of support during your stay:

  1. Tickets: Travel confirmation
  2. Money: Economic means: Latest statement from a major Credit Card, 3 latest bank statements (the ending balance has to meet the minimum balance required for the length of your stay). Minimum (90% SMI) and daily (10% SMI). The SMI 2017 is 532,51 euros.
  3. Hotel or leer of invitation.

Sometimes, even having the visa does not avoid this type of control. At border (or during other controls) you may have to provide documentation mention above.  It is therefore recommended that you carry with you copies of the documents which you presented when applying for the visa (e.g. letters of invitation, travel confirmations, other documents stating the purpose of your stay).

Schengen Tourist Visa

When you are not a tourist?

If you are currently living in a Schengen State and planning to visit another Schengen State, your case is different: You are not treated as a tourist when you have a valid long stay visa/residence permit for a country that is part of the Schengen area.

With your passport and the document that proves that (Foreign ID of your country of residence) you can visit other countries members of this area as a tourist without applying for a visa. Always respecting the maximum duration of a “short stay” (a stay of “90 days in any 180 day period”).

Another situation, different from short stay visa, will be just transiting through the international transit areas of airports of the Schengen States, in these cases you may need an “airport transit visa”.


If are in this situation already or you are about to start the procedure and want to prepare your application properly, you can contact us and in the consultation we can study your case.

Leave a comment

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada.

By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, click for more information.plugin cookies

Aviso de cookies